At the last RWCC General Meeting there was some discussion about whether or not we should organise a club Christmas function this year and, if so, which venue would be suitable and what form it should take.
Last year, following a suggestion from members, we used the Carlton Park Hotel, Rotherham. We have also used the same venue for the annual presentation evening in January / February for the past two years. The reality is that for a club with a membership the size of ours, none of these events were well attended and difficulty was experienced in achieving minimum numbers, especially so in relation to last year’s Christmas function.
It may be that at £32.95 per head last year’s Christmas function was too expensive for some members. The reality is that Christmas is an expensive time and we all have to make choices about how to spend our money. It is also a busy time and inevitably there will be clashes of social commitments.
It was decided at the meeting to seek the views of all members as to whether you wish us to organise a Christmas function this year and if so, what form it should take. Options include:
1) Repeating last year’s format at the Carlton Park.
2) Booking the function room at a local pub and laying on either a Christmas dinner or buffet (the Three Horseshoes at Wickersley has been suggested – we understand they did a very good Christmas dinner last year at a cost of about £13.00 per head).
3) An informal meeting for a drink somewhere, perhaps with food laid on.
4) Steak night at Bluecoats.
5) Not arranging anything in the event of insufficient interest.
We would very much welcome your thoughts and suggestions in order that a decision may be made at the next meeting.